About Georgia Chief Science Officers
Georgia Chief Science Officers (CSO) is a STEM leadership development program for middle and high school students, enhancing students’ leadership, communication, and project management skills. Students are empowered to lead STEM/STEAM initiatives at their schools and in their communities. CSOs build relationships with STEM industry mentors and connect with companies and careers in their region.
The program is part of the CSO International consortium, led by the SciTech Institute in Arizona. Georgia CSOs are joining more than 1000 other CSOs in Arizona, Oregon, Michigan, New York, Delaware, Florida, Pennsylvania, Texas, Mexico, Kuwait, and Kenya.
In 2021-2022, the program includes 60 students from 30 schools in Atlanta, Clayton, Cobb, DeKalb, Fulton, and Paulding counties. Check out our recent News Releases: Science ATL welcomes a new class of Chief Science Officers (August 13, 2019), CSOs on the Go (November 3, 2020), 21st Century Leaders and Science ATL Launches STEM Leadership Program (September 8, 2021).
Georgia Chief Science Officers is a program of Science ATL, engineers of Atlanta Science Festival, and was launched in 2018 with funding from The Arthur M. Blank Family Foundation. Current sponsors include UPS, International Paper, Lockheed Martin, Cox Enterprises, Delta Community, and Norfolk Southern.
Contact AJ Chestnut Raines, Metro Atlanta Cabinet Coordinator.
Now Recruiting Leadership Coaches!
We are looking for STEM professionals from industry and academia to serve as Leadership Coaches to middle and high school students in the Chief Science Officers program. Share your career journey and leadership experiences with middle/high school student leaders in monthly evening Zoom calls. Two coaches will meet virtually with 6-8 students once per month. Apply here or contact AJ Chestnut Raines to learn more.
2021-2022 Participating Schools
- Amana Academy (Fulton)
- Babb Middle School (Clayton)
- Banneker High School (Fulton)
- Booker T. Washington High School (Atlanta)
- Camp Creek Middle School (Fulton)
- Clarkston High School (Dekalb)
- Coretta Scott King Young Women’s Leadership Academy (Atlanta)
- Crawford Long Middle School (Atlanta)
- Eddie White Middle Academy (Clayton)
- Forest Park High School (Clayton)
- Forest Park Middle School (Clayton)
- Global Impact Academy (Fulton)
- Herman J. Russell West End Academy (Atlanta)
- John Lewis Invictus Academy (Atlanta)
- Johns Creek High School (Fulton)
- KIPP WAYS (Atlanta)
- Lovejoy High School (Clayton)
- ME Stilwell School of Arts (Clayton)
- Mundy’s Mill High School (Clayton)
- Mundy’s Mill Middle School (Clayton)
- North Clayton Middle School (Clayton)
- Paulding County High School (Paulding)
- Renaissance Middle School (Fulton)
- Sandtown Middle School (Fulton)
- South Atlanta High School (Atlanta)
- South Cobb High School (Cobb)
- South Paulding High School (Paulding)
- Stone Mountain Middle School (Dekalb)
- Tucker High School (Dekalb)
- Tucker Middle School (Dekalb)