Whether you need a gift for the science enthusiast in your life, or just want to treat yourself to the gift of knowledge, Atlanta’s Lead Explore (ALEX) has you covered. Check out ALEX’s favorite gifts for science lovers, including books, magazines, and more!
We love reading and have had many authors visit over the years at the Atlanta Science Festival. ALEX’s list below includes books by our ASF author friends and many more. Stop by one of Atlanta’s local independent bookstores to buy them for your favorite science lover or check them out online.
For younger science fans:
- Here We Are: Notes For Living On Planet Earth by Oliver Jeffers (3+)
- The Stuff of Stars by Marion Dane Bauer (4+)
- 11 Experiments That Failed by Jenny Offill and Nancy Carpenter(4+)
- Just Like Us! Series by Bridget Heos (4+)
- Little Robot by Ben Hatke (5+)
- The Girl Who Thought in Pictures: The Story of Temple Grandin by Julia Finley Mosca (Part of the Amazing Scientists Series by The Innovation Press) (5+)
- Hidden Figures: The True Story of Four Black Women and the Space Race by Margot Lee Shetterly and Laura Freeman(5+)
- Little Dreamers: Visionary Women around the World by Vashti Harrison (6+)
- Astronaut Aquanaut by Jennifer Swanson (6+)
- Squidtoons: Exploring Ocean Science with Comics by Garfield Kwan (7+)
- The Wild Robot by Peter Brown (8+)
- Brilliant Ideas from Wonderful Women by Aitziber Lopez & Luciano Lozano (8+)
- Frank Einstein Series by Jon Scieszka (8+)
- Women in Science: 50 Fearless Pioneers Who Changed the World by Rachel Ignotofsky (9+)
- Temple Grandin: How the Girl Who Loved Cows Embraced Autism and Changed the World by Sy Montgomery and Temple Grandin (9+)
- Astrotwins Series by Mark Kelly & Martha Freeman (9+)
- Meal by Blue Delliquanti (12+)
For older science enthusiasts:
- The Order of Time by Carlo Rovelli
- What If? by Randall Munroe
- The Body by Bill Bryson
- The Science of Breaking Bad by Dave Trombore and Donna Nelson
- The Perpetual Now: A Story of Amnesia, Memory, and Love by Mike Lemonick
- What It’s Like to Be a Dog: And Other Adventures in Animal Neuroscience by Gregory Berns
- Roadside Geology of Georgia by Pamela Gore and Bill Witherspoon (Family Guidebook)
- Hiking Atlanta’s Hidden Forests: Intown and Out by Jonah MacDonald (Family Guidebook)
If you want to keep the science going all year round, consider one of ALEX’s favorite magazines!
MAGAZINES (Print and Online)
CLICK® Magazine (3-6)
ASK® Magazine (6-9)
MUSE® Magazine (9-14)
Ars Technica (14+)
If you’ve read as much science as you can and want some other gift ideas, ALEX has a few picks for the household that help save the earth and the species that live here.
- Reusable Utensils
- Reusable Straws
- Reusable Food Storage Wraps
- Water Bottle
- Socks for Animals
- Gorilla Socks
- Conscious Step – Socks that Give Water
- Shongolulu: Saving wildlife, protecting habitats, and preventing extinction
SHOP SCIENCE ATL!
You can now shop exclusive Science ATL and Atlanta Science Festival merch online! Grab your “Science Y’all” t-shirts and commemorative Atlanta Science Festival shirts and merchandise to celebrate local STEM/STEAM in Atlanta! Shop here.
And always, to keep inspiring curiosity in Atlanta, consider a donation to Science ATL in honor of your favorite science fan. Science ATL Inc. is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to bringing people together through the wonder of science.